I am keen to get as many school groups as possible to Parliament for a free guided tour and discussion.
Free guided school tours of Parliament are available to all schools - unfortunately, I am unable to meet any travel costs. There is however a travel subsidy available to state schools which could cover up to 75% of your travel costs, and paperwork will be sent you automatically after you make a booking, if you are eligible.
The free guided tour for schools includes:
- Westminster Hall, the ancient hall at the heart of the Palace where Parliament first sat and where many historic events have taken place
- The House of Commons, including the Speaker's Chair and the famous green benches and the 'lobbies' where MPs actually vote
- The House of Lords, including the Royal Throne
- The Queen's Robing Room, Royal Gallery and many other fascinating parts of the Palace of Westminster
Be aware, the House only offers free guided school tours in the weeks that Parliament is sitting. Recess dates can be found here.
The times for the tours when the House is sitting are as follows:
- Monday: 9am-12pm (full tour)
- Tuesday: 9am-9.55 am (full tour), 10am-12pm (House of Lords tour only)
- Wednesday: 9am - 9.55am (full tour), 10am - 12pm (House of Lords tour only)
- Thursday: No tours
- Sitting Fridays: 3.30pm - 5.15pm (full tour)
All school tours are very popular and places are limited, so you may have to book months in advance. If you would like to visit on a free guided school tour, please email me to enquire about a visit. When you email, I would be grateful if you could provide me with three date options for your visit, and if you could let me know how many are in your party and the earliest and latest time you are available on those days. I will also need to know if any of your party will require additional assistance during your visit.
There are also free educational visits which, in addition to a tour of the Palace, offer children and students the chance to learn more about Parliament through interactive workshops. All bookings are made by phone, one school term in advance, on a given date. To make a booking for an educational visit, please visit.
Finally, I would, of course, be happy to come and visit you - please email my office to arrange a visit.